Friday, November 7, 2008

A Step Forward, A Step Backwards

Dear Friends,

My blog was made to share my experiences across the world, laugh at all the stupid things I do, share my quarks, poke fun at myself and the people I work with, and maybe a performance here and there. However, it was not made for me to chat about politics. Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that, in fact, I think it's healthy to have discussions but this will be one of the very few I'll chat about.

Yesterday, I woke up early on our day off, and joined some of my cast mates to watch an historic moment (pic attached Tony Clemmons copyright).

An African American President or a Women as Vice President will take office for the first time in our nations history. If you ask me, that's EXCITING!

I couldn't be more happier and proud to walk around Japan knowing Mr. Obama is our president elect.

That being said, States passed "propositions" that boggle my mind. Are gay men and women second class citizens in this country? In 2008?!? Really, people? As someone who's best friend is adopted, states passed laws to ban loving, caring gay men and women to save a child and give them a better life. I can't put my head around it. And it makes me VERY, very sad and ill.

And it's time for folks to understand that no matter who you are, gay, straight, black, white, Asian, Indian, etc. etc. etc. we are all human and should respect one another and be equals. Listen to President Elect Obama's speech. I know so many couples who planned ceremonies in California, so they could have the same legal rights as any other straight couple, who are now left in the dust. And that breaks my heart.

So, to me, this election was a step forward and a step backwards.

~Danny

1 comment:

tony said...

Lois.

it's Clements.

capital C-l-e-m-e-n-t-s, Clements.

not Clampat, Cornwallace, or Clemmons.

Clements.

Just a minnit - head...CHEST!...mix.

Okay then. See you at 11.

(p.s. my blog is HERE.)